Ozone Action Days
On Ozone Action Days, there are many steps that can be taken to reduce exposure to the unhealthy air and to minimize air pollution generation. Ozone Action Days are issued when ozone levels are expected to reach levels that are "unhealthy for sensitive groups" or higher.
On Ozone Action Days, it is important to take precautions' to limit exposure, especially if you are sensitive to ozone pollution.
- reduce the amount of time that you spend outside
- when you are outside try not to exert yourself
- make sure that your A/C filter is properly maintained
Sensitive groups include:
- Children and teenagers
- Older adults
- Adults with respiratory or cardaiovascular illneess
- Outdoor workers
Be Air Aware
Simple changes in your daily activities on Ozone Action Days can help reduce air pollution:
- Reschedule any discretionary trips to the bank, grocery store, mall, etc. that requires driving
- Avoid idling - skip the drive-thru lanes and turn off your vehicle while waiting for curbside pickup
- Reschedule lawn care
- Reschedule your commute time to later in the morning on Ozone Action Days (i.e., after 9 am) to avoid adding your vehicle’s emissions to the time of day that will have the highest impact on ozone formation.
- Avoid outdoor cooking
- Avoid portable generator use