Heavy Duty Vehicle Idling

Vehicle Idling Restrictions in Central Texas

Heavy-duty vehicle idling is prohibited in all of Travis County and the following cities in Bastrop, Caldwell, Hays, and Williamson Counties:

The cities listed above implement these restrictions through their codes of ordinances as home-rule cities.

Travis County implements idling restrictions under a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) Idling restrictions under the state's Locally Enforced Heavy-Duty Vehicle Idling Rule. The cities of Austin and Georgetown both have an idling ordinance and an MOA with TCEQ.

Report Heavy Duty Vehicle Idling

If you see a parked heavy duty vehicle with its engine running for more than 5 consecutive minutes anywhere in Travis County or the jurisdictional boundaries of the cities of Bastrop, Elgin, Georgetown, Hutto, Lockhart, Round Rock, and San Marcos, write down its license number, as well as the date, time and location of the occurrence and report the idling activity within 30 days in order to enable local authorities to address the situation. Reporting is anonymous.

  • Report online
  • Report by phone: 512-343-SMOG (7664) within 30 days of the incident